Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#7608 - 12/07/02 05:23 PM Winter Hiking
Judge11 Offline
old hand

Before I have to go back to work (and in between ice climbing) my wife and I would like to get some winter hiking in. Any suggestions in and around the gunks/Catskills area. I'm obviously familiar with the area, but am unsure what may be the better winter hikes...day and/or overnight hike suggestions too.

Thanks...

#7609 - 12/10/02 03:14 PM Re: Winter Hiking [Re: Judge11]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
hi
my girlfriend and i have recently doing some winter hikes in harriman and find it a great area for hiking in snow.the trails arent too steep, lots of great ridge walks.
we recently completed a nice one which follows the AT on a ridge headed south switches east then north through doodletown and back towards the start near bear nountain.check out the nynjtc maps on harriman/bear mountain if your interested.

p.s.lots of nice shelters and undeveloped climbing all an hour closer to the city than the gunks.

#7610 - 12/10/02 10:08 PM Re: Winter Hiking [Re: charliebutters]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Lots of illegal undeveloped climbing. There was a nice 600 acre fire just east of doodletown in October of 2001. burned over to Times Square intersection. Check it out sometime. It;s amazing how fast nature covers it up.

RangerRob

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored