Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 2 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7638 - 12/18/02 03:05 AM Camping at Jtree
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey everyone....

I'm going to call sometime this week and make reservations for a camp site in Jtree and was wondering what is your favorite place to camp in the park? Which site numbers do you like the most? We want a spot that is good for making fires and has some cool rock formations and or views. Thanks alot and take it easy...

John

#7639 - 12/18/02 03:22 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
"Cool rock formations and/or views."

Hidden Valley campground or Jumbo Rocks campground. Reservations?

The attachment is my campsite @ Jumbo Rocks. Pretty sweet, huh?! And here's the right side behind my site: http://www.gunks.com/w3tuserfiles/58368-Texture.jpg

GO

Attachments
67748-jumbo_rocks_site1.jpg (108 downloads)

#7640 - 12/18/02 03:33 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
The locals I know prefer the Hidden Valley and Ryan campgrounds, since they're closest to the most climbing. And of course they fill up first, HV especially so. But you'll have a car anyway so it's no big deal to drive 5 min to get to the spot you want to climb. Unless the rules have changed recently (and I hear that the Park is going to start charging for camping soon - they've already routed the road away from HV campground to facilitate this), the only sites you can reserve are the group sites. These are in Indian Cove, but there might be more at another campground (I'm thinking Sheep Pass). The group sites are not free, and I would imagine there's a minimum group size needed.

#7641 - 12/18/02 06:12 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can't make camping reservations in JTree unless you are part of a large group. Everything is on a first come, first serve basis, and the place fills up fast on a friday afternoon/night. When you are driving around looking for a site, ignore the "campground Full" signs, i think the park service never checks or changes them!

#7642 - 12/19/02 02:52 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also be aware that some of the campsites appear hidden from the road. Especially the ones at the back of the Hidden Valley loop. You can always walk back and check.

#7643 - 12/19/02 09:28 PM Re: Camping at Jtree [Re: Mike Rawdon]
mummert Offline
journeyman

Loc: Danbury, CT, USA

Indian Cove has about 100 individual sites that can be reserved. $10/night/site (3 tents, 2 cars, 6 people max) in addition to the group sites ($25-$35/site).

See the NPS Joshua Tree site for more info plus links to reservations.

#7644 - 12/21/02 09:42 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way. There is a Thai restaurant in the town of Joshua Tree that is excellent. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that the orange things in your soup are carrots.....

#7645 - 12/21/02 11:37 PM Re: Camping at Jtree
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
i actually didnt really like the thai place. i prefered going to the cafe, i cant think of the name but they have a ton of different beers, it was real close to the park entrance .. D something or another i think

when we were there they had some live music, and had some decent bluegrass

#7646 - 12/21/02 11:46 PM Re: Camping at Jtree [Re: CrackBoy]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
i prefered going to the cafe, i cant think of the name but they have a ton of different beers, it was real close to the park entrance

I think it's called Crossroads Cafe.

#7647 - 12/23/02 02:26 PM Re: Camping at Jtree [Re: cfa]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yup that was it. i loved that place
i just suck with names

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored