Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#7811 - 01/24/03 08:45 PM Quick!!!!
Dizzy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Berkshires, MA and Ahlington, ...
OK, all you left coasters. I was just recruited to attend a conference in San Diego at the last minute. I fly out Monday and stay until Thursday. I've never been here soooooooooooooooo What's close? Probably bouldering.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!

Peace,
Dizz

#7812 - 01/24/03 09:06 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go surfing at Mission Beach or La Jolla....Its fun.....Then you should drive down 15 miles to Tijuana Mexico and get drunk and ride a donkey with a big sombrero and visit my friend Tony, he's a good guy!

Sorry, can't help you with any climbing but I'm sure there is a good amount...I saw alot of granite outside of the city.....also Jtree is only 2.5-3 hours away!! plus alot of other good shtuff......Have fun!

Peace,

John

#7813 - 01/24/03 09:26 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
i was in san diego 2 weeks ago. forget about climbing.
listen to johnny. S.D is one of the coolest place i have been to, go to the beach hang out.walk around la jolla it is awsome.

#7814 - 01/24/03 09:29 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends on where you are staying and if you have a car. I have been to Mt. Woodson and Santee. Both are good, but you should be aware that some of the problems are rather long for bouldering, IMHO. Like over 40 feet. There are many fine shorter problems. Mt. Woodson is northeast of San Diego near Poway. Santee is in the city of Santee. Supposedly Mission Gorge is also quite good. There is a book, Southern California Bouldering Guide, that has pretty good maps and topos. You could probably pick it up at REI in San Diego. Mt. Woodson is a classic area, one of the close, after school/work homes of the Stonemasters. As such, the problems are sometimes stout, but the view is great and the rock is excellent. Have fun!

#7815 - 01/24/03 09:39 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
La Jolla is awesome. Check out Torrey Pines if you have time. If you have 500 bucks to spend, book a night at The Lodge at Torrey Pines. It's a magnificent hotel that is a reconstruction of original Greene & Greene designed homes ... like this one:

Gamble House

As for climbing ... there's plenty of good climbing in SD.

As mentioned ... Mt. Woodson is a classic area. Problems are OTD, but lots of people top-rope them. Poway Crags are nearby for some good sport climbing. Mission Gorge and Santee are also options.

For a non-climbing day ... check out Balboa Park ... it's incredible!

#7816 - 01/24/03 10:44 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Not a So-Cal climber but I am down there somewhat for work. Check out three books at San Diago REI,

a) So-Cal Bouldering
b) So-Cal Climbs
c) So-Cal Sports Climbs

All three provide an overview of the area and provide about 20 areas around San Diago and LA not including J-Tree. Includes Mt. Woodson.

#7817 - 01/25/03 03:29 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Have you tried searching on San Diego?

If it was anyone else but you I'd have left it at that, but for our Dizz, here you go, here's the URL for the free download area of the San Diego Climbers Coalition (they omitted the apostrophe, not me). I went to Santee when I was out there last year, it was fun. Although I came off rather hard without a pad or spotter and twisted my ankle, got back on, came off again and banged my back up, so I went and sat in the whirlpool at the hotel instead.

Enjoy

#7818 - 01/25/03 03:34 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Heya Liz,

Just got back from SD this week me-self ... next time you go, you'll have my pad to crash at! More on that later ...

You'll like Woodson - it's a hillside with lots of different-sized boulders to meander among, to either TR or just boulder. Go to La Jolla, get Coast Toast at Brockton's, and watch the seals on the beach. Also, the polar bears at the zoo (which is somewhat close to the convention center) are awesome. JTree, if you have an entire day to kill, it's ~2 hrs (Julie Express).

#7819 - 02/03/03 09:26 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
Dizzy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Berkshires, MA and Ahlington, ...
Hey Nick!
Here's where we stayed. http://www.hoteldel.com/
Not too shabby, eh? My room had an ocean view. The restaurants in the area are fabulous and I'm suuuuuuuuure glad the company picked up the check!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I was pretty much chained to the conference and we flew out on the red-eye Thursday night. I wanna come back, but next time I'll have some say in the timing of everything so I can fit in some touristy/climbing time.

Thanks again!

Peace,
Dizz

#7820 - 02/05/03 07:38 PM Re: Quick!!!! [Re: Dizzy]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Dizz:

The Hotel Del is awesome! Especially since they renovated it.

Location for the classic film "The Stunt Man."

Next time you should get your company to spring for The Lodge at Torrey Pines ... not only does it put the Hotel Del to shame ... but it sits on one of the country's most famous golf courses.

Anyone in your company play golf???

The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored