Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#7946 - 02/24/03 02:41 AM convertible sleeping bags
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
does anyone have any experience with them? i was considering buying a go-lite convertible bag rated 0/20/60 thinking i could use it in summer and mild winter conditions, what do you think?
also isopro fueled stoves in the winter, any problems?
thanks-peace, charlie

#7947 - 02/24/03 12:57 PM Re: convertible sleeping bags [Re: charliebutters]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
Here is something to think about as a different option to a convertable bag system. Get a bag you are comfortable in when you will camp MOST. If this is not winter, you can add an overbag (bivy) or a liner to add insulation for cold temps. A bivy inside of a tent in winter will keep you (me) surprisingly warm with even a mild weather bag. Then again, I tend to sleep warm. You really just need to be honest with your needs, too many people think they NEED different setups, just to have them sit in the closet. If it is something that you have found a need for, try it out and let me know how it works.
As far as the stove question. Canister stoves may have trouble at extremely low temps but that shouldn't be much of a concern. There are tricks you can use to keep the canister warm such as taping a hand warmer pack to the bottom of the canister or insulating it from the ground (wood, small piece of closed cell foam). If you are concerned about mild winter conditions, don't be. You should be fine. One thing that is noce in winter is something to insulate your pot while cooking. MSR makes a heat exchanger does the trick.

#7948 - 02/24/03 05:54 PM Re: convertible sleeping bags [Re: pitfall]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
solid info, thanks, i will let you know how things turn out. peace, charlie

#7949 - 02/24/03 11:17 PM Re: convertible sleeping bags [Re: charliebutters]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I remember a review about the VTR, which said the "60 degree" was ridiculous since it's just sleeping under the detached top, which was too narrow to do any good. The UK site still lists it as a 0/20/60, while the US site has removed the "60" degree designation.

As pitfall suggested, I have a mild weather bag. When it turns cold, I bring a liner and go to sleep fully clothed. I don't do winter backpacking, but if I did probably go with a bivy as well.

#7950 - 03/03/03 02:27 AM Re: convertible sleeping bags [Re: charliebutters]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
I have a 40,20,0 set from Slumberjack. Love it. Been using it for many years.
The versitility is worth the cash. and having 3 for the price of two makes economic sense.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored