Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#8026 - 03/13/03 07:23 PM going west
trad_rock Offline
journeyman

Loc: Portland, OR
Having grown up and lived all my life in NYC, it is time for me to get outta here and try somewhere new. I would like to go west and I have narrowed it down to Jackson Hole, Colorado, or California. Factors that come into play include low cost of living, and ease of finding a job as well as a place to live. I also want to be close to the mountains, which is key, probably my main reason for wanting to leave NY. Ideally, I'd like to be able to climb rock and ice, and snowboard all year round. Am I asking for too much?
I studied Environmental Studies and Geology in school so I would like working in that field, but I would just as much like to work in outdoor retail or the hospitality industry, having experience in both. Main thing is, I am looking for a place with good people, good mountains and low cost of living. I really wanted to go to the Bay Area, but it would be way too expensive.
Another thing, I havent been out to any of these places so I have no idea what to expect. This is where you guys come in. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
well, I hope I didnt bore you all too much.
Thanks a bunch!
Cheers,

#8027 - 03/13/03 07:51 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
Alex Offline

For Colorado I'd suggest you consider Grand Junction. Pretty good weather (the banana belt of Colorado), not expensive like a lot of Colorado towns, jobs (and maybe in your field) might be there, and its close to both Utah and Colorado climbing and snowboarding.

#8028 - 03/13/03 08:21 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
Richard Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Viva Las Vegas !

#8029 - 03/13/03 08:43 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
powpierre Offline
journeyman

Loc: reno,nv
I lived in vegas for a while and it is hard to beat. Lots of jobs and 25 min to red rocks, 1 hour to mt Charleston for skiing in winter, and climbing in summer. Let me also throw out Reno where I currently live. Patagonia is a major employer here for outdoor retail possibilities. The cost of living is relatively cheap ( a little cheaper than Philly). We are 45 minutes from Tahoe basin for all the skiing you could want a dozen resorts. The Sierra's are right out your door so back country possibilities are there to be had. As for climbing it is 3.5 to Bishop, 3 to toulomne, 1.5 to lovers leap, 45 to Donner. It has its limits living in a cow town but San Fran is only 3.5 hrs away for culture or whatever

#8030 - 03/13/03 09:23 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
I wouldn't rule the Bay area out entirely. There are more affordable areas as you go inland.

Personally, I could not imagine living in Las Vegas. But that's just me.

You might also consider Salt Lake City. It has everything you are talking about in spades ... with the exception maybe an appropriate university for your studies.

I'll make the case for LA. There is still affordable places to live in various areas. The weather is awesome. You have an incredible number of top colleges and universities. JTree and Idyllwild are 2 hours away. A great sprto climbing crag is just 40 minutes from house up in the San Gabriels. There's excellent bouldering and TRing 30-45 minutes from almost anywhere in the city. There's skiing and snowboarding in the San Gabriels and San Bernadinos. I live in Pasadena, so I'm right near the mountains and the hiking up there is terrific.

Yosemite is 4-5 hours away.

#8031 - 03/13/03 09:36 PM Re: going west [Re: powpierre]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
hookers.
cant forget the hookers.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#8032 - 03/13/03 09:54 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Jackson is an expensive town to live in. Most everyone I've ever known from JH lives over the border in towns like Victor, Idaho and commutes. There should definitely be plenty of job opportunites in the hospitality industry though.

#8033 - 03/14/03 01:32 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Well, I'm in a similiar situation. I'm about to start nursing school (second degree) and once I finish I can basically get a job anywhere, so I'm open to suggestions about the best place in the country to live. My plan though, is to take a couple of road trips to check it out before I actually move somewhere. This summer will be my first roadtrip and I'm gonna hit Colorado and Wyoming and hopefully Idaho and the Valley too.

#8034 - 03/14/03 05:12 PM Re: going west [Re: trad_rock]
jj221 Offline

Loc: Morristown, NJ
Try Bend, Oregon. Mt. Hood has good glaciations for year round skiing/boarding. It is very near Smith Rocks for your climbing needs and far enough in land that it avoids the dreaded Pacific Northwest Rain cycles. The town itself is laid back and pretty cool but definitely a small town. I know nothing about the employment opportunities in the area.

#8035 - 03/14/03 09:09 PM Re: going west [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
Bolt_Skytop Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz, New York
La is a horrible horrible place.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored