Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8347 - 04/15/03 02:45 AM Camping in Yosemite
Anonymous
Unregistered

since their was that recent post about Tuolumne Meadows, I figured another yosemite question couldnt hurt.....

I'll be out in Yosemite probably July-Aug, planning on doing some climbs in the valley (yeah i know its gonna be hot) as well as a good amount of time in Tuolumne.

Where do you guys think the best and most economical place to camp in the valley is? Camp 4 is first come first serve and I can only picture how crazy it will be around the 4th of July and how impossible it will be to find a campsite.......What would you reccomend as another camping area while staying in the valley (if I definately can't get into camp 4)?

Or if you have any good pointers on scamming a site at camp 4...

If it turns out I need to make reservations for another campground how early in advanced should I do that? I haven't been into yosemite in 6 years and can't remember any specifics.

Thanks for any advice,

John B

#8348 - 04/15/03 02:13 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't want to let out all my good secrets send me an e-mail and I will let you know how to scam it all when you are in the valley. conwayjason@yahoo.com
Jay

#8349 - 04/15/03 02:56 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
I'll give out all my secrets, in public.......

As for Camp 4.... on the July 4th weekend, it will be incredibly crazy.

A) you can in general crash in Camp 4 (but you didn't hear it from me since I won't condone it......), if you just bivi on a site (best to ask the current residence for permission but most people don't mind) if you don't put your bag down until after 8pm and leave before 7-7:30am the following morning. The rangers will be through the camp sites once or twice at night. Don't worry, their primary concern is bear violations (leaving food, trash, etc... laying around). They will occasionally write tickets for illegal camping ( only seen it happen to one person, believe it was Owen Silver; an ex-gunkie....). If you are being loud they will write you up though.

If you want to camp legally in Camp 4, even in the summer its not that hard. On the 4th of July weekend, the first morning, get to the kiosk at the parking lot at Camp 4 at 5am, bring a sleeping bag and pad, and crashout until the kiosk opens (8:45am). You'll generally be the first few people in line if you do this.

For the first night you can either crash illegally or, there is legal BLM land just outside of the Hwy 120 gate. Almost exactly 2miles before the park boundry on Hwy 120 there will be a road sign saying "4000ft" on the left side of the road, it will be the 2nd or 3rd such sign you will see driving from Big Oak Flats on Hwy 120. At the sign on the left side of the road, there will be a little turn off on the left side of the road (going East). If you look closely there is a paved road which continues 50-100ft and turns into a dirt "road". Take the "road" until a fork in the road, and go left. You'll pass a set of beehive boxes (or whatever they are called). Continue down the road (watch the ruts, they can be deep), until a turnaround. There is a lot of camping around that area, and you will usually see between no one and 1 or 2 other groups.

On the fourth of July the "Valley" will be hot. You'll be better off going to either Tuolumne (I can tell you several free sites just outside of the park boundries) in Tuolumne if you need. I also highly suggest Calavaras Dome to the north by about 60miles (Yosemite-quality climbing with NO ONE around and gorgous riverside camping (which is free). The climbing is Yosemite-quality with routes such as the Wall of the Worlds (probably the best 5.10c cracks I've seen-if you combine the first two pitches), Silk Road ( a good 5.11 corner) or Gemini Cracks (THE BEST 5.9 I've seen EVER). .

#8350 - 04/15/03 05:08 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite [Re: Chas]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
I was in the valley last 4th of July weekend. It IS crowded. It IS hot. However, the heat can thin the crowds of climbers. Many climbers also head up to Toulumne and many others use the long weekend to head to other climbing areas.

Last year it was almost spooky how few climbers we ran into over that holiday.

#8351 - 04/15/03 05:11 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
it goes with the old its a long weekend so everybody espects everyone else to go so no one goes.

#8352 - 04/15/03 05:51 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite [Re: CrackBoy]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Lack of crowds made up of climbers....Actually, I think its the heat.... It's just damn hot on a white granite face in the sun at 95F

#8353 - 04/15/03 06:00 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite [Re: Chas]
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah the heat is definately gonna be sweltering but after a winter like this years its gonna feel more rewarding........A few summers ago I climbed Devils Tower on July 6th, did the durrance route, we were being blasted with sun the entire and the heat was anywhere between 90-100's, it was hot but still an amazing journey.....I'm kinda thinking the valley will be similar and if it gets to bad, we head to Tuolumne early........no loss there.....

But back on topic.....so what are your thoughts on making reservations at another campground? I mean its not just going to be me, there will probably be four of us so that hurts my stealth bivy scenario. Thanks for the suggestions

jb

#8354 - 04/15/03 06:18 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite
Dizzy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Berkshires, MA and Ahlington, ...
A quick check through a couple of the campgrounds shows that there are no campsites available around the 4th of July.
Here's the link to check yourself:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/pphtml/camping.html

There may be some to the west outside the park, but you may have better luck on the eastern side outside of the park. From Inyo Nat'l Forest it's a bit over an hour to the Valley from there. I can give you specifics if you want.

Now going,
Dizz

#8355 - 04/15/03 07:20 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite [Re: Dizzy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that site....looks like every reservation campground in the valley and in tuolumne is booked solid until mid August. .......

hmmmmmmmmmmm....

John

#8356 - 04/15/03 07:23 PM Re: Camping in Yosemite
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Don't worry, just outside of Tuolumne near Ellery Lake there is legal and free camping. Can tell you where. The only person you'll find there is Greg Barnes (of Supertopo and bolt replacement fame) and his girlfriend, and maybe myself.

Email and I'll give you directions, that or ask Kat (ryanclan). She and I crashed there for 5 days last year when we were climbing in Tuolumne.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored