Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#8375 - 04/17/03 12:27 AM Where should I go?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys and gals, I want to take a trip to Europe. Does anyone know about trails over there. I want to tour as many trails as I can this summer. I am applying for Balance Bar's Grant program, but I don't know where to go. Help! any suggestions? By the way, for you other poor people (like me) out there. check out this grant, you can get up to $10,000 to pursue a mind/body adventure! balancebar.com/grants. You just have to know where you're going and I don't YET.

#8376 - 04/21/03 07:02 PM Re: Where should I go?
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
There are books on Mt. bike tours in the alps. A friend of mine did the "Trans Alp Tour" that started somewhere in Austria and went to somewhere in Italy over 14 days with upward of 6000' of elevation gain on some days. There is a guide book specifically for this tour. It is easy enough to design you own tour,but it is important to check guide books, because many trails are not open/passable for a mt. bike unless you walk. Switzerland, Italy, Austria and France all have great riding. A store like REI might have some of the tour guide books. Have fun.
Paul

#8377 - 04/25/03 11:15 PM Re: Where should I go? [Re: hartmann]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, that sounds perfect. I'll be sure to get that book. do you know if it outlines what the trip will cost. that might save me time on my application. You see, you have to include a brief bugdet so they know how much money to award if you win the grant. The deadline in May 15th, but I think I'll have no problem getting in done by then. ..

#8378 - 04/26/03 08:19 AM Re: Where should I go?
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
My friend who has the book moved away so I can't look at it. You can expect lodging at a B&B in small villages to run 25-40 euros a night. If you eat in restaurants for dinner, plan on 12-18 euros which will get you a pasta dish and a couple of drinks, more if you want meat dishes. I recomend carrying lunch with you. Bread and some cold-cuts at a grocery store will run you about 4-7 euros a day. If you want something other than water to drink, just bring powdered drink mix with you. That stuff is expensive over here. Same with things like power bars.

#8379 - 04/29/03 12:02 AM Re: Where should I go? [Re: hartmann]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, that gives me at least some idea of where to start. I don't have the book yet, but I'll probalby have it by the end of the week. I hope i get this grant, I don't get to travel that often. I'm due for a good trip!

#8380 - 04/29/03 12:11 AM Re: Where should I go?
Anonymous
Unregistered

quickone, where are you planning to go? Europe seems like a popular vacation right now. Have you already applied for the grant? May the best person win!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored