Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#8408 - 04/21/03 01:44 PM Zimbabwe?
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
Has anyone heard of any climbing in Zimbabwe, or does anyone know of a resource where I might be able to locate some information about this?

I have a unique opportunity to get there cheaply, and I would prefer to turn it into a climbing trip

#8409 - 04/21/03 02:04 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: zachres]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Umm... Do you know what's going on in Zimbabwe? It's in a bad way. A friend of mine is from there and her uncle was murdered by the government a couple weeks ago. Check the travel advisories on travel.state.gov before you make any definite plans.

Mugabe essentially murders anyone and everyone who disagrees with him. The people are poor and starving and the infrastructure is slowly breaking down.

Here:
http://travel.state.gov/zimbabwe_warning.html

#8410 - 04/21/03 02:09 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: intrepid02]
zachres Offline
addict

We traveled there, a few years ago, under a similar warning.... Things have deteriorated considerably, but we have some good/safe contacts within the country that tell us the Vic Falls area is still relatively safe.

Do you have any other information from your friend that you could pass along?

#8411 - 04/21/03 02:13 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: zachres]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

I'll probably see her tomorrow night, so I'll ask. But she told me that she hasn't been back to visit in the last 18 months and has no intention of doing so anytime soon.

#8412 - 04/21/03 02:22 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: zachres]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone heard of any climbing in Zimbabwe, or does anyone know of a resource where I might be able to locate some information about this?

Have you tried searching on the internet? A simple Google search on Zimbabwe rock climbing brings back a lot of hits - I'm not going to read through it all and tell you what's the best, but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of information if you want to do some homework.

#8413 - 04/23/03 05:56 AM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: zachres]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
its also fairly close to get to south africa from zimbabwe, which has very good climbing. haven't been to zim before, but i'm in south africa right now and haven't heard anything good at all about the place from people fleeing from there. if you do want to head down to za, watervall boven is in mpumulanga in the northeast part of the country and has absolutely delightful sport climbing with a bit of trad, and there are other good areas all over the draugensburg that have trad climbs up to 6 pitches or so long.

#8414 - 04/23/03 12:21 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: intrepid02]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Well, I asked my friend and she said that she knew two people (one black and one white) who just got back from there in the last month. Neither had bad experiences. She seemed to think that you'd probably be all right. It is possible though that transportation could be spotty. And obviously you should keep your mouth shut about any disagreements you might have with the government.

#8415 - 04/23/03 01:35 PM Re: Zimbabwe? [Re: intrepid02]
zachres Offline
addict

Thanks for the feedback....

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored