Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#8603 - 05/06/03 06:22 PM Where to go ... where to go?
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
I've got a short (family) vacation window coming up this summer and both possible destinations to include some climbing.

Jackson Hole

or

Lake Louise

I've never been to either.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions on these two places would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind, it's a family vacation, so I'll really only have a day for climbing. Maybe a day and a half if I'm good.

#8604 - 05/06/03 06:25 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
No idea where Lake Louise is, but Jackson Hole would put you at the base of the Tetons. Given a day and a half you could do some really classic stuff.

#8605 - 05/06/03 06:28 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: intrepid02]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Lake Louise is in Banff, Canada.

Reportedly has some of the best cragging in North America.

#8606 - 05/06/03 06:40 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: intrepid02]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Lester,

Lake Louise is very beautiful and there are some nice but long mountaineering routes there which I think would be kinda hard to fit in to a family vacation format, at least the sort of family vacations I take. I have heard that there is also some sport climbing on crags near the Lake. I sure wouldn't go up there to spend my only day in the mountains on a sport climb, but on the other hand that does fit into the family vacation scenario I'm familiar with.

By and large, I think the Tetons are a better bet. More stable weather, much better rock, less glaciation (so plenty of stuff to do without needing ax and crampons), and a variety of routes of different lengths. Unfortunately, the approaches are long in the Tetons too, so you'll have to plan your day of escape pretty carefully.

#8607 - 05/06/03 06:58 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: rg@ofmc]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the info.

I've done a little homework. Both areas offer single day climbing opportunities. Jackson Hole has the whole spectrum ... from full on mountaineering to easy cragging and bouldering.

Personally, I'm more interested in cragging or a nice long day out on a multi-pitch climb. Peak-bagging is not my top priority. (Though I was looking at Exum's "Grand Teton In a Day" program )

As for Lake Louise, I would be solely interested in the cragging there. I have heard it is phenomenal. Was wondering if anyone has climbed there and can verify this. (Photo in the new Patagonia catalogue shows Brittany Griffith climbing at Lake Louise.)

While Lake Louise has the incredible Lake Louise Chateau to stay at ... it looks like Jackson Hole has much more activities for the wife and kid (fishing, horseback riding).

If the weather is more stable in Wyoming, that's a big plus as well.

So maybe I should switch this discussion over to simply suggestions, comments and recommendations for climbing in Jackson Hole.

#8608 - 05/06/03 06:59 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: rg@ofmc]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
There's more to Jackson Hole than just the Tetons (that's probably one of the more flameworthy statements I've ever uttered and I'm sure I'll be brought to task for it). But there's also cragging at Hoback Shield and Rodeo Wall, both of which get three stars in Rock'n'Road.

#8609 - 05/06/03 07:04 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was not disappointed by:
Baxter's Pinnacle (1/2-3/4s day)
Jensen Ridge (full day) or
Irene's Arete (full day)

of those three, Irene's Arete was my favorite.

#8610 - 05/06/03 07:07 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

Haven't been to the Tetons since I was 3. But I did spend 5 weeks in Banff Natl Park (some of them at Lake Louise) and thought it was beautiful. And this was before I started climbing. There are nice scrambling peaks (Fairview is one) that you can take family on and, my absolute favorite thing about that whole trip was what I call the construction site: The glacier that snakes down from Temple Mountain is an amazing example of geology in action. It's got two perfect (and huge) lateral moraines and a big terminal moraine with a braided stream coming down into a little holding lake on its meander down to Lake Louise. A trail, accessible for most, goes up the glacier to a 'tea house' that is usally more crowded than an upper west side brunch hot spot. If you follow the trail a bit further you can look into the "death trap" where the glacier snakes around to the headwall of Temple. I think it's the Victoria glacier, but cannot remember the name. But boy is that an amazing hike.

Also, I canoed the Bow River in an beautiful mohagony slatted boat with a park warden I became friends with; thermal outlets make for interesting water.

Great trails and lots to do. I stayed at the hostels in both Banff and LL.

I guess you got my vote (though I am heading to the Tetons soon!).

jk

#8611 - 05/06/03 07:39 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Irene's Arete in Garnett Canyon is easily reached and climbed in a day, and is reportedly the best rock climb in the Tetons. Missed it last year, but I'm slated to do it on July 24 this year. Can't wait!! (for it and my other Tetons objectives).

#8612 - 05/06/03 07:39 PM Re: Where to go ... where to go? [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
All kinds of good stuff for the wife and kids to do. If hiking isn't a great idea, consider sending them down the Snake on a rubber boat for the day. Or battle the crowds in Yellowstone and watch Old Faithful blow.

As for climbs, if you don't care about summits, you should consider the routes in Death Canyon (unless it is very hot). The Snaz and Caveat Emptor (soft 5.9 and 5.10 respectively) are very nice rock climbs with about as short an approach as you can get in the Tetons (which does not mean the approach is short.) Easier and shorter is the Guide's Wall on Storm Peak, but it will probably be as crowded as the Gunks. Any of the routes on Symmetry Spire are ok and you get a nice view of the north side of the Grand, Mt. Owen, and Teewinot. If you'd like a decent summit in a day, I'd try the South Ridge of Nez Perce. Moderate fifth-class climbing, nice views, easy descent (might need an ax in early season).

I probably have more ideas...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored