Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8768 - 05/16/03 10:11 PM Re: New Look... [Re: oenophore]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Did I say that?

#8769 - 05/16/03 10:13 PM Re: New Look... [Re: GeeVee]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
There you go; I had to switch to threaded mode to ascertain whether you were asking that of me!

#8770 - 05/16/03 11:02 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Stars are back; now there's a good start!

#8771 - 05/17/03 12:33 AM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "Black" unread threads in the blue color scheme is pretty harsh, I agree with maybe a gray tone, but no big deal. I also had to know if the post # 24601 was about Jean Valjean, or if it was just a number off the top of your head.

#8772 - 05/17/03 05:35 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The LIGHT BULB on the left hand side of the screen indicates if the forum contains unread posts. Does is really matter if there's 1 new one or 100?

Yes, quite significantly in a common scenario....

Sometimes I have very limited time to read posts, so I might elect to read a forum with only 6 new posts and save for later one that has 55. Once I enter a forum then exit back to the main list, all indications of new posts disappear. Thus it's very difficult to remember what I have and haven't read if I happen to pick a forum with a lot of new posts.

#8773 - 05/18/03 02:37 AM Re: New Look... [Re: MarcC]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Quote:

Yes, quite significantly in a common scenario....

Sometimes I have very limited time to read posts, so I might elect to read a forum with only 6 new posts and save for later one that has 55. Once I enter a forum then exit back to the main list, all indications of new posts disappear. Thus it's very difficult to remember what I have and haven't read if I happen to pick a forum with a lot of new posts.

I agree. Having a quick "at a glance" (i.e., not requiring more clicking) view of how many new posts are in each forum is very helpful. I don't use it so much to select which forum I'm going to read, as to see, in general, how much traffic there has been (on all the forums) since I last checked. If there's been a lot, I'll stop to read, if not, I'll check out and log back in later when there's more to read. Obviously this is not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but that's my .02.

#8774 - 05/18/03 03:17 AM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I noticed the bulb after I got a few new messages, but as others have said it's good to see how many new posts. If there's only 20 new posts since the last time I checked, then I might not check since it's probably normal activity. If there's 100 new posts, then there might be something important happening that's generating a lot of traffic or a discussion I might want barge into.

walt- yeah, it was, wish I could be at the last perfomance tomorrow...

#8775 - 05/18/03 07:58 AM Re: New Look...
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
The "Black" unread threads in the blue color scheme is pretty harsh, I agree with maybe a gray tone, but no big deal.

It's really ugly. Please make it go away.

#8776 - 05/20/03 01:06 AM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Evan. Thanks for your hard work.
I too weigh in that I used the new post and reply count daily to choose what to read.
For example. If I have read the Anything Goes posts and am not interested in all the liberal politics being discussed, if there were no new posts listed, only replies, I would save some time and skip it till another time. If there were new posts I would open it and read away.

On a side note. I went to change my profile and it says my signature is too long when I go to update. I havent changed it so I guess it's something in the new software.

#8777 - 05/20/03 01:10 AM Re: New Look... [Re: Chooch]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
I think I fixed it.
Test

Yep. Dont know how it got screwed up. Lots of added stuff was in there.

Edited by Chooch (05/20/03 01:12 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored