Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8758 - 05/16/03 07:55 PM New Look...
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Ok, I like the collapsing boards... that's pretty cool. If there's a new post, does it automatically expand? That would be nice.

No way to see if there are any unread messages without entering a forum... I liked seeing the number of unread posts in the main index.

In "the blues" color scheme, the unread thread is black... really, I'm mildly depressed , but not all out black! A deep grey perhaps?

#8759 - 05/16/03 08:02 PM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I would like to see the replyee in flat mode as before. And what became of stellar ratings?

#8760 - 05/16/03 08:11 PM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
chazman Offline
old hand

Quote:

No way to see if there are any unread messages without entering a forum... I liked seeing the number of unread posts in the main index.

Can I second that?

#8761 - 05/16/03 08:42 PM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Ok, I like the collapsing boards... that's pretty cool. If there's a new post, does it automatically expand? That would be nice.
In "the blues" color scheme, the unread thread is black... really, I'm mildly depressed , but not all out black! A deep grey perhaps?

I just noticed the "quote" and the "mark all read". Very cool! If they're not new, well I like them anyway. The ability to search by display name is also handy, although I see you need to get the name right. The inclusion of the post number would be handy, if I kept a list of posts that were important, if you could just say "oh, look up post 24601 and they'd just jump right to it that would be fantastic.

I guess the boards don't expand automatically with new messages. Oh, and there are (+) signs for both "new posts" and "no new posts" in the legend.

Edited by quanto_the_mad (05/16/03 09:26 PM)

#8762 - 05/16/03 09:47 PM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
webmaster Online   content

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Quote:

The LIGHT BULB on the left hand side of the screen indicates if the forum contains unread posts. Does is really matter if there's 1 new one or 100?

-em

#8763 - 05/16/03 09:49 PM Re: New Look... [Re: oenophore]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:

I would like to see the replyee in flat mode as before.

Ditto that.

#8764 - 05/16/03 09:52 PM Re: New Look... [Re: oenophore]

veteran

Quote:

I would like to see the replyee in flat mode as before. And what became of stellar ratings?

Not sure what you mean by replyee in flat mode . Please elaborate.

Ratings are available as a switch. I have it turned off for the moment.

-em

#8765 - 05/16/03 09:56 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
Carpal Tunnel

Before, every post in flat mode had the name of the poster to whom he was replying (except the original post, of course.)

#8766 - 05/16/03 10:00 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

For example, you just responded to OhNo4, but it doesn't actually say that in your response (it used to). This reply also won't specify that I'm responding to your post. Historically that's often been a point of contention ("I wasn't replying to you! ") when discussions get heated.

#8767 - 05/16/03 10:06 PM Re: New Look... [Re: GeeVee]
Carpal Tunnel

Historically that's often been a point of contention ("I wasn't replying to you! ") when discussions get heated.

A major reason for this, to say the least!

#8768 - 05/16/03 10:11 PM Re: New Look... [Re: oenophore]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Did I say that?

#8769 - 05/16/03 10:13 PM Re: New Look... [Re: GeeVee]
Carpal Tunnel

There you go; I had to switch to threaded mode to ascertain whether you were asking that of me!

#8770 - 05/16/03 11:02 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
Carpal Tunnel

Stars are back; now there's a good start!

#8771 - 05/17/03 12:33 AM Re: New Look... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "Black" unread threads in the blue color scheme is pretty harsh, I agree with maybe a gray tone, but no big deal. I also had to know if the post # 24601 was about Jean Valjean, or if it was just a number off the top of your head.

#8772 - 05/17/03 05:35 PM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The LIGHT BULB on the left hand side of the screen indicates if the forum contains unread posts. Does is really matter if there's 1 new one or 100?

Yes, quite significantly in a common scenario....

Sometimes I have very limited time to read posts, so I might elect to read a forum with only 6 new posts and save for later one that has 55. Once I enter a forum then exit back to the main list, all indications of new posts disappear. Thus it's very difficult to remember what I have and haven't read if I happen to pick a forum with a lot of new posts.

#8773 - 05/18/03 02:37 AM Re: New Look... [Re: MarcC]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Quote:

Yes, quite significantly in a common scenario....

Sometimes I have very limited time to read posts, so I might elect to read a forum with only 6 new posts and save for later one that has 55. Once I enter a forum then exit back to the main list, all indications of new posts disappear. Thus it's very difficult to remember what I have and haven't read if I happen to pick a forum with a lot of new posts.

I agree. Having a quick "at a glance" (i.e., not requiring more clicking) view of how many new posts are in each forum is very helpful. I don't use it so much to select which forum I'm going to read, as to see, in general, how much traffic there has been (on all the forums) since I last checked. If there's been a lot, I'll stop to read, if not, I'll check out and log back in later when there's more to read. Obviously this is not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but that's my .02.

#8774 - 05/18/03 03:17 AM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noticed the bulb after I got a few new messages, but as others have said it's good to see how many new posts. If there's only 20 new posts since the last time I checked, then I might not check since it's probably normal activity. If there's 100 new posts, then there might be something important happening that's generating a lot of traffic or a discussion I might want barge into.

walt- yeah, it was, wish I could be at the last perfomance tomorrow...

#8775 - 05/18/03 07:58 AM Re: New Look...
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
The "Black" unread threads in the blue color scheme is pretty harsh, I agree with maybe a gray tone, but no big deal.

It's really ugly. Please make it go away.

#8776 - 05/20/03 01:06 AM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Evan. Thanks for your hard work.
I too weigh in that I used the new post and reply count daily to choose what to read.
For example. If I have read the Anything Goes posts and am not interested in all the liberal politics being discussed, if there were no new posts listed, only replies, I would save some time and skip it till another time. If there were new posts I would open it and read away.

On a side note. I went to change my profile and it says my signature is too long when I go to update. I havent changed it so I guess it's something in the new software.

#8777 - 05/20/03 01:10 AM Re: New Look... [Re: Chooch]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
I think I fixed it.
Test

Yep. Dont know how it got screwed up. Lots of added stuff was in there.

Edited by Chooch (05/20/03 01:12 AM)

#8778 - 05/20/03 04:51 AM Re: New Look... [Re: webmaster]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
yes the number of new posts was great. i too selected my reading based on "new posts" and "replies".
please make the black go away.
eddie

#8779 - 05/20/03 01:08 PM changing font sizes [Re: quanto_the_mad]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
How come the font size in Bugs & Comments is larger than the rest for me?
I'm pretty sure I didnt do it.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#8780 - 05/21/03 05:19 PM Black Heading on the Blues scheme [Re: empicard]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Another issue with the Blues scheme that now has the black bckgrnd heading on new posts ... is that you can't see half of the text heading. You can't see who the post is in response to and you can't see if there is an attachment to the post.

I hope you can fix the problem ... the Blues scheme is the only one that has the right font size for my monitor (not too small and not too big).

#8781 - 05/21/03 05:23 PM Re: Black Heading on the Blues scheme [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

You can't see who the post is in response to

That goes for all the color schemes - it's no longer included.

#8782 - 03/23/04 06:33 PM A big THANK YOU [Re: webmaster]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

After all that whining we did way back when (almost a year ago) you snook the unread post count back in without telling us you were doing it! Thank you - I hope the rest of the whiners will be suitably appreciative too.

#8783 - 03/23/04 07:30 PM Re: A big THANK YOU [Re: GeeVee]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, second that thanks! Saw it last night and thought "that's odd" but well it was 2am and everything seems a little odd at that time.

Cool, very cool!

#8784 - 03/24/04 03:48 PM Re: New Post Counts [Re: quanto_the_mad]

veteran

That was an unforseen bonus of installing the new PhotoPost software.

When we were doing the install, I had to comb through every setting of the Discussion Software. While doing that, I came accross this setting for the number of queries necessary to produce the main page. "What's this thang do?", I asked Justin, our PHP Guru. "Heck, I don't know", he responded, "Let's try it". The rest is history. The folks at UBB must have sneaked it in there in the last upgrade.

I agree, it's a pretty useful feature. But not having it has taught me that there can be great posts that just don't have a lot of traffic. As a matter of fact, some of the best posts are so well stated, there's very little need for replies. On the other hand, some of the most active posts....well, you know.

-em

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored