Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8899 - 06/04/03 02:47 PM Need help planning east coast climbing road trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I are planning to go on an east coast climbing, camping , driving trip.

The only destination we pretty much have to do is a stop in Montreal.

we plan to camp most of the time. But stay at a hotel or something every few days and stay with my parents in MTL. We will be starting off in NYC.

So you have 2 weeks, a car, camping and climbing equipment what do you do????

#8900 - 06/04/03 03:10 PM Re: Need help planning east coast climbing road trip
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
well you can start with the gunks. head north to the Dacks, then towards Cathedral then to acadia or rumney and cannon

#8901 - 06/04/03 03:13 PM Re: Need help planning east coast climbing road trip
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
What time of year? Two weeks isn’t that long though I'd love to have it. How much time do you want to drive? Do you want to rule out the Gunks cause you can get there during shorter trips? You’re forced to go north, you could easily do two weeks all north using Crackboy's destinations.

Mark Heyman

Edited by Mark Heyman (06/04/03 03:15 PM)

#8902 - 06/04/03 03:21 PM Re: Need help planning east coast climbing road trip
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
if you normally climb in the gunks and only have two weeks, i'd suggest that you go to nh first--cathedral and cannon. then go to maine to acadia. then up to montreal. possibly go to the dacks on the way back if there's time.

#8903 - 06/04/03 06:49 PM Re: Need help planning east coast climbing road trip
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
To maximize your time ... I'd concentrate on Cathedral, Acadia and the Gunks.

Hell ... if I had two weeks to climb in the northeast ... I'd probably spend all of it in the Gunks.

#8904 - 06/04/03 07:52 PM Non-conventional Northeast Climbing Tour
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You guys got it all WRONG. Here's my proposal.

Leave NYC head west (go west young man).
Stop in Bridgewater, NJ and visit Chimney Rock park where you can experience 45 feet of poison ivy choked rotting sandstone covered in an eighth of an inch of stone dust from the neighboring stone quarry. THere are some hard routes there.

Then, drive further west to Pennsylvania and visit Ralph Stover State Park. The poison ivy is just as bad, the quality of rock is slightly better, there is no layer of stone dust, and the routes are longer.

Had enough yet? No, okay, head for Niagra Falls and cross over into Ontario and climb at Rattlesnake Point (never climbed there).

Then drive over to Montreal and do your thing there (rumor has it that St Catherine Street has some climbing, oui oui)

From there, start working back south but don't stop and climb anything in the daks, instead, head to near Utica and hit up Little Falls.

Now return to NY and boulder in Central Park for a good choss tour circuit.

#8905 - 06/04/03 08:06 PM Re: Northeast Choss-tour [Re: strat]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Quote:

Now return to NY and boulder in Central Park for a good choss tour circuit

Strat, have you been to Central Park? It rocks!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#8906 - 06/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Northeast Choss-tour [Re: empicard]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

my jersey-non-bouldering ass knows NOTHING about central park bouldering other than it is 1) in new york city and 2) is bouldering and is therefore BORING

btw, I only have first hand knowledge of Chimney Rock and Ralph Stover on my choss-tour list.

#8907 - 06/04/03 08:13 PM Re: Northeast Choss-tour [Re: strat]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
wow, you caught that before my edit?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#8908 - 06/05/03 12:09 AM Re: Northeast Choss-tour [Re: empicard]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:

Had enough yet? No, okay, head for Niagra Falls and cross over into Ontario and climb at Rattlesnake Point (never climbed there).

One of these things is not like the others....and that would be the Niagara Escarpment. Let me put it this way: it took me two years to begin to enjoy the gunks after climbing on the luscious, smooth, beautifully seductive dolomite limestone of the Escarpment for the preceding four. Man, I once drove six hours straight PAST the gunks to sink my hands into those beautiful verticals! So, no choss to be found at rattlesnake. Or Nemo. Or Kelso. Or Buffalo Crag! You'd have to stop a Letchworth park to climb some nasty-ass crumbly stuff (in another beautiful place).

jk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored