Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#8922 - 06/07/03 03:28 AM the south of france
Dominic Offline
journeyman

Loc: Troy NY
Howdy

Im headed to france for two weeks, and was wondering what people thought of some good climbing destinations. Its a family trip so climbing isnt the priority ( ) so day trips from around the avignon area.

I guess it will have to be sport, since the whole country seems to be bolted to the hilt. I guess up to 12a or so.

Thanks!

#8923 - 06/07/03 04:28 AM Re: the south of france [Re: Dominic]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
buoux. i really like it. the secteur styx is really rather nice, and there are some great 'moderates' around homo lupuron grimperus or whatever the name is--they call it hml...

there is a massive trad area near avignon. st something or other. sorry i cant be more specific, i dont have my notes with me...its just another mountain that happens to have 6 pitch limestone trad routes. it was okay. the routes were pretty easy, not too much exposure, but interesting all the same.

have fun.

#8924 - 06/07/03 06:16 PM Re: the south of france [Re: crackers]
ryanclan Offline
addict

Loc: NoCal
I second crackers, Buoux!! It's fabulous with lots of different grades and beautiful scenery...even an old monastery that the family can hike to while you climb.

Kathy

#8925 - 06/07/03 08:48 PM Re: the south of france [Re: Dominic]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Orpierre in Provence.

Wonderful town, friendly people, free camping, pool at the CG, all bolted, 5.4 to 5.13. Literally dozens of good climbs in the 5.10 range or less, some 2 pitches or more, but most less.
Much less crowded than the other popular French crags like Ceuse and Buoux.

Also several similar crags close by covered in the same guidebook and only 2-3 hours to Verdon or the S. France beaches, if that's your thing.

TS

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored