Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9395 - 08/25/03 03:35 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Jannette]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Quote:

Are there enough gear placements at the top for anchors on most of the climbs?

I've never not done a climb because i was unable to build an anchor. some of the harder to set up TR's are now bolted.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#9396 - 08/25/03 03:48 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Jannette]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
you can pretty much set up anything. if you have a lot of webbing or some static line i would definitly bring it along since (at least when i was there) some of the best routes didnt have bolts,(not that you needed them but alot of times the other option is to run an anchor back 15 feet)

#9397 - 08/25/03 05:08 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Jannette]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
Quote:

I've only been at Peter's Kill once. I saw they have rules that you can't use the trees for anchors. Are there enough gear placements at the top for anchors on most of the climbs?

Almost correct. You're not supposed to anchor off the pitch pines (they're protected), but any other tree is fair game. You do occasionally have to get creative with anchors, though; it helps if you're carrying 3/8" static line and a couple of 20' webbing runners, in addition to the usual cordalette/passive pro/active pro/etc.

T

#9398 - 08/25/03 05:13 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Tai]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Quote:

You're not supposed to anchor off the pitch pines (they're protected), but any other tree is fair game

i've never seen that specifically mentioned, just no using trees in general.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#9399 - 08/25/03 07:50 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: empicard]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
Quote:

Quote:

You're not supposed to anchor off the pitch pines (they're protected), but any other tree is fair game

Heard that from a couple of rangers, and also (if I remember correctly) from our own Mike Rawdon. I could, of course, be wrong. *shrug* In which case, it just got a LOT more interesting to build anchors out there.

T

#9400 - 09/01/03 07:44 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Tai]
Bolt_Skytop Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz, New York
Just bring a static line or long webbing and you can always find gear. Kiling the trees was never necessary. Most are bolted now anyhow.

#9401 - 09/01/03 11:21 PM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: empicard]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Good question - I'll have to see where exactly this is posted. It is NOT on the waiver that must be signed annually.

That waiver BTW is a masterpiece of government doublespeak: "The *use* of bolts and pitons are (sic) strictly prohibited" (emphasis mine). Now who do you think installed those stainless anchor bolts if not the state? They say we can't use them?

And this: "Minnewaska State Park...does not approve qualifications or certify instructors in any manner" yet they dictate which CPR course (for example) a guide must take and in at least one instance I am aware of) told a guide that he would not be allowed to work at Peters Kill because his CPR credentials did not meet Minnewaska standards.

(rant OFF)

#9402 - 09/02/03 01:09 AM Re: Toprope routes at The Trapps - without leading? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And to add to this entire rigamorole (sp?), I was told by a Ranger at Peter's Kill, that, the use of trees, is NOT, in fact, prohibited, but in the interest of conservation it is strongle advised that trees not be used as anchors.

I have grown fairly intimate with the area this season and have never even thought about using a tree for an anchor. And I have been able to construct all the anchors I've needed with a "standard" gunks rack. No extra mile long static or webbing or anything else.

I was also recently told by a ranger that the bolts that are currently in place have been placed by local guide services so as the PIPC is not liable for the bolts.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored