Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (SethG), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#9629 - 08/27/03 01:35 AM Adirondack Lodges....
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

A friend of mine is heading to the ADK for a few days in September with his gf. He's interested in camping for a couple of day followed by staying at a lodge for a couple of days. I can refer him to countless trails to hike and places to camp, but I've come up short on lodges. He would prefer to be in the high peaks area. I've proposed the following so far:

Elk Lake Lodge
Adirondack Loj
Rock and River (though I think trails are more limited here).

The ideal is that it must be a private room at a lodge (not interested in the numerous b&b options) and it would have trails just outside the door (not having to drive to a trailhead).

Does anyone have any suggestions? What about the Ausable Club? Is a membership required? Strat- can he borrow yours?

jk

#9630 - 08/27/03 02:07 AM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: JoeKayak]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Depending on when he goes in september, he might have to help me paint but I will be offering trails to the Great Range and to Giant/Rocky Peak Ridge within walking distance

How about the place we stayed for Winter Dacks Fest 2002, it is in keene valley, on the left, and the name completely escapes me, it is a B&B but they have rooms suitable to what your bud is looking for...Oh, I remembered, The Trails End Inn. They have a trail nearby (to Roostercomb and eventually the range) and offer a shuttle (I think) to the Garden for hiking.

#9631 - 08/27/03 09:54 PM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: strat]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Not sure when they close, but the John's Brook Lodge sounds perfect for what you want.

RR

#9632 - 08/28/03 02:27 AM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: RangerRob]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Quote:

Not sure when they close, but the John's Brook Lodge sounds perfect for what you want.

RR

Thanks Rob, but the JBL has no private rooms.

And Strat- are you really openning a b&b out of your new place? cool.

I remember trails end, just south across the road from the noonmark diner. Thanks.

jk

#9633 - 08/28/03 04:20 AM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: JoeKayak]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

JK, No, no B&B, it's not the right kind of house for that, but, within a year or so, I hope to be able to offer Roaring Brook Lodge for vacation rentals from time to time. Stay tuned. It is the poifect place for the rock and ice climber who likes to chill in front of a fireplace after a day of climbing, drink a Jack and coke, listen to some good music, and then sleep in a bed

See that, you made me smile.

edited to add: JBL doesn't have private rooms, but the ADK does offer camp Peggy O'Brien just up the trail from there that is private....

#9634 - 08/28/03 04:01 PM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: strat]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
been looking at adk.com and other related sites while browsing the racks at the outdoor stores for some comprehensive guides and trail maps for the dacks without much luck, any recommendations ?
peas

#9635 - 08/28/03 04:13 PM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: charliebutters]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hiking guides are published by the Adirondack Mountain Club (adk.org). These are the best and most all inclusive guides. They divide the Adirondacks into regions and sell a book/map combo for each region.

There is only one climbing guide to the area and that is Climbing in the Adirondacks, by Don Mellor.

#9636 - 08/28/03 04:55 PM Re: Adirondack Lodges.... [Re: charliebutters]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Quote:

been looking at adk.com and other related sites while browsing the racks at the outdoor stores for some comprehensive guides and trail maps for the dacks without much luck, any recommendations ?

Charlie-

I second the Mellor Guide for climbing; though it is not quite like the Gunk's Guides in that there are fewer cliff photos, but still a good guide. For hiking and trails, I have been using the High Peaks Region Adironack Mountain Club guides for more than ten years. I also have the Barbara McMartin book (name??). I prefer the ADK guide. The High Peaks edition is the green-covered version. It's pocket sized (though a bit fat & bulky for a pocket) and edited by Tony Goodwin. I think it comes with a paper map of the area. I bought a supplemental waterproof edition of the same map that has served my well for many years as well. It's the map for the High Peaks Region.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored