Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#9831 - 09/17/03 12:11 AM What's up with charging for Partners Listing
Brian_Phillips Offline
stranger

Loc: Rhode Island
I went through the drill to sign up for the Partners listing only to be met with a final page asking for my credit card. Suggestion: dump the new Partners listing and go back to the old (free) one. There are plenty of free ones out there for almost every area plus national ones like RockClimbing.com. Why would anyone pay?
Brian

#9832 - 09/17/03 02:11 AM Re: What's up with charging for Partners Listing [Re: Brian_Phillips]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
This has been discussed at considerable length previously. Why not take advantage of the parts of this board which don't cost you a penny and read the discussions which took place. Try the Partner Database ONLINE!!! thread in General Climbing for starters. If you have additional questions I am sure someone will answer them for you. Or are you both cheap and lazy?

#9833 - 09/18/03 02:50 AM Re: What's up with charging for Partners Listing [Re: GeeVee]
Brian_Phillips Offline
stranger

Loc: Rhode Island
GeeVee,
Ouch! I did as you suggested and checked out the thread on this subject. Seems like a few folks have the same question I do. I'd be willing to pay for a service that has value but my real question is why pay when you can get it free elsewhere? I noticed that there are quite a few Gunks partner listings on RockClimbing.Com. I wonder if that is in response to Gunks.com charging? I guess time will tell if it is successful.
Brian

#9834 - 09/18/03 03:04 PM Re: Not your ordinary Partners Listing [Re: Brian_Phillips]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Brian-
I don't know if you have done so already, but I suggest you read the "How it Works" section on the Partner Database (it's free).

I think once you read it, you'll see that this service is not anything like the free services that are available on the web. A couple of things stand out for me:

1) Speed and Convenience: You can locate a partner for a specific day at the outset--there's no negotiating a mutually convenient date. You can confirm a partner in under an hour, rather than days of email exchanges that often don't pan out.

2) Accountability: Each person on the Gunks Partner Database accumulates a history based on how they treated their partners in the past. You can find out if a partner is reliable before driving a few hours to find out they're not.

3) Privacy: You don't need to give out your email address of phone number on-line. Only people you agree to partner with will have your phone number and email address. By not displaying an email address, it doesn't get "harvested" for the spambots.

The Gunks.com system cost thousands of dollars to build, and took a year of work to create. I think you will find you get what you pay for.

-em

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored