Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#9859 - 09/19/03 12:28 AM New To Rhinebeck, need ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there everyone! I'm new to Rhinebeck NY, and I'm looking for some local crags, for two toally different reasons.

I would like to find a place close to rhinebeck to run over and boulder / TR / lead before and after work. Hard is good, long is better.

I would also like to find a wall to take kids to. I am the new coordinator of a teens program at a camp in Dutchess County. We work with "at risk" kids and I want to add a climbing program into our activities. We have a small wall, and a large high ropes course, so the kids have the belaying skills. I'm looking for a wall so they can get in some TRs on the real thing.

THANKS
andy

#9860 - 09/19/03 03:10 AM Re: New To Rhinebeck, need ideas
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
You can't be more than 45 min from the Gunks, which is really all there is within an hour of Rhinebeck. But then, that should be enough! Talk to the folks at Peters Kill (a good area for kids groups; it's in Minnewaska State Park) about bringing groups there - they have some rules and procedures you need to be aware of.

#9861 - 09/21/03 06:32 PM Re: New To Rhinebeck, need ideas [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm actually avoiding the gunks intentionally. We would be there on the weekends, when the gunks are crowded.
A) I don't want to hog easy lanes

B) I don't really want them around that many people. Some of our kids get easily excited by lots on stimulus, and keeping them away from lots of new people makes it easier on us to handle them.

Thanks tho!

#9862 - 09/21/03 06:44 PM Re: New To Rhinebeck, need ideas
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
How about St. John's Ledges? You can get there in an hour and a quarter, although you might end up sharing the place with another large guided group. But it's an excellent (if small) area for beginners to work on TR skills.

http://www.raggedmtn.org/crags/stjohns.html

#9863 - 09/22/03 12:32 PM Re: New To Rhinebeck, need ideas
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
peterskill
even on weekends it is not crowded....shhhhh! do not tell anyone else.

#9864 - 09/22/03 03:01 PM Re: New To Rhinebeck, need ideas [Re: pedestrian]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
St John's is great - by the way that's me and my daughter in the picture!

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored