Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9877 - 09/19/03 01:49 PM home page messed up
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
The home page is all messed up.
Was like this last night too. Evan, are you making changes?

#9878 - 09/19/03 05:03 PM Re: home page messed up [Re: Chooch]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
It's this darn hurricane. The weather service keeps changing the formatting of it's web page. My fault for not putting in some error checking. Back to the drawing board.

-em

#9879 - 09/19/03 05:08 PM Re: home page messed up [Re: webmaster]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I find that if I bypass the home page by making the Discussion URL my Gunks.com entree, I bypass all problems associated with that page.

#9880 - 09/19/03 05:41 PM Re: home page messed up [Re: oenophore]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Yes, but you also miss any new articles, new events or anything else outside of your own conversations.

Weather is now repaired and the front page is working fine.

Incidentally, in the near future, you will likely not be able to access the forums without coming in through the "front door".

-em

#9881 - 09/19/03 05:54 PM Re: home page messed up [Re: webmaster]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Quote:

Incidentally, in the near future, you will likely not be able to access the forums without coming in through the "front door".

Just my $.02, but that would be annoying.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#9882 - 09/19/03 05:56 PM Re: home page messed up [Re: webmaster]
Chooch Offline
old hand

You fixed the drop down issue too.
Well done.

#9883 - 09/30/03 12:51 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: webmaster]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
please dont do that. two reasons:
1) from dial up land in the rest of the world, this site takes too long to load (generally two-three minutes to load the main page for starters) if you go through the steps to reach the discussion. Personally, i would stop visiting and posting from turkey, whether or not i was on a "high speed" connection or not. Its just not worth five minutes to see if there is anything interesting...

2) i believe that the majority of people who use backdoors visit the main page pretty regularly to check for articles, weather, lost and found or whatever...

#9884 - 09/30/03 01:39 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: crackers]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
How bout login only from the front page. Then anyone could browse the best way for them till they want to post. That would ensure some front page visitation - but you would have to do it every time.

#9885 - 09/30/03 05:50 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: crackers]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I second what cracky said.

#9886 - 09/30/03 07:05 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: crackers]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
i believe that the majority of people who use backdoors visit the main page pretty regularly to check for articles, weather, lost and found or whatever...

It's kind of difficult to persuade someone to shell out $$$ for advertising space on the main page of the site when the best you can offer them is that even though you've provided the Gunks.community with a way to avoid ever having to see the advertisements (by coming in the back way) you still "believe" that they will take a look "pretty regularly." I'm convinced.

#9887 - 09/30/03 08:53 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: GeeVee]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

have there ever been ads that only appeared on the front page? I would have a very difficult time given the discussion driven nature of the site justifying an investment in advertising that only appeared on the entry page.

furthermore, the point that i raise is not that you will have more captures by routing people through the front page but instead that fewer people will bother with the site if the forums are not directly accesible. Personally, I am not going to take five minutes to reach the discussion board. Try the site from a dial up on a macintosh or a linux box and see what i am talking about...

#9888 - 10/01/03 12:33 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: crackers]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Dial-up? Ha Ha HA

People still use them? Five minutes? Ha Ha HA How you can't really use the net through a dial-up anymore. It's like trying to run XP on a 286! Virtually all sites have graphics which take a while to load.

3 years ago when I was still on a dial up - I used to truthfully say that I could drive to work in Delaware an hour away - work on the net and drive home faster than use my dial-up connection.

Dial-ups, HaHaHA sheesh HaHaHA ha ha ha

My condolences

Seriously Mac and Linux are so far in the minority the most sites just don't worry about them (that much), and that's is exactly how MS likes it. Believe me I'm no MS fan - it just the way it is, and why they have the market share they do. Guess I'm over being mad or sad about it.

No I'm not!

#9889 - 10/01/03 02:56 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: Mark Heyman]
Chooch Offline
old hand

I run XP on a 300.
Works for me.

#9890 - 10/01/03 08:11 PM Re: high speed v. dial up [Re: Mark Heyman]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

lets see, recent figures in the economist say >50% penetration of highspeed in US, and >20% globally. I live in turkey. High Speed there maxes out at ~100k before 9am Eastern Time...

thank you for your condolences. it truly sucks. but i am loving my stay stateside in fast computer land!

#9891 - 10/01/03 08:48 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: Mark Heyman]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
gee mark, they got high speed internet in the 'pinlands' of NJ? wow the world has come a long way. pretty soon you will have those 'live bait' vending machine like we do over here in pennslytucky

#9892 - 10/02/03 04:35 AM Re: high speed v. dial up [Re: crackers]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

lets see, recent figures in the economist say >50% penetration of highspeed in US.

That's the 50% that actually use he internet for something besides email.

Actually i don't know what that 50% means. 50% of the internet users have high speed access, 50% percent of the people in the US have high speed access - no, thats too high.

and >20% globally.

Globally? Before your trip when you realy want information, you'll wait for it on that slow connection, and the advertisers will be happy. Right?

I used to read this sight on a dial-up, started at 14.4, but here weren't any popups or so much graphics then. HS wasn't available at attracive rates, or in very many places.

Sorry for sounding antagionistic.

#9893 - 10/08/03 12:05 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: Mark Heyman]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Quote:

Seriously Mac and Linux are so far in the minority the most sites just don't worry about them (that much), and that's is exactly how MS likes it. Believe me I'm no MS fan - it just the way it is, and why they have the market share they do. Guess I'm over being mad or sad about it.

Heh heh... I'm currently typing this in Lynx, through a telnet session to a NetBSD server. Gunks.com works just fine for us "alternative" users.

I still use Lynx frequently- no graphics, no pop-ups, no flash (grrr), no nothing, just plain content in plain text.

The site works fine in Moz... all sites should work in Mozilla... I run Moz on FreeBSD and have no problems.

FreeBSD is dead, long live FreeBSD!

-QtM

#9894 - 10/08/03 05:05 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The site works fine in Moz... all sites should work in Mozilla... I run Moz on FreeBSD and have no problems.

Really? Do the drop-down menus from the top menu bar work? They don't for me in Moz 1.4.

#9895 - 10/09/03 08:13 PM Re: closing back doors [Re: MarcC]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

nor in 1.3

but maybe i should upgrade to 1.5...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored