Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#9926 - 09/25/03 12:35 AM good runs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been doing a lot of running up around the carriage road lately. Really enjoy it. Does anyone have any favorite runs (5-6 miles) that they would recommend? I have charts so if you name them or at least the starting points, I can find them, assuming they have names that is. I try very hard to be unobtrusive, so I'll try not to ruin anyone's personal favorite spots. I will not bring dogs, kids, loud music, cigarettes, chalk, or motorcycles.

#9927 - 09/25/03 02:00 AM Re: good runs
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I will not bring dogs, kids, loud music, cigarettes, chalk, or motorcycles.

What about logging trucks?

#9928 - 09/25/03 02:15 AM Re: good runs [Re: GeeVee]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There it is. You give an inch and they want a mile.
If you want to take my logging truck, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

#9929 - 09/25/03 08:06 PM Re: good runs
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
I have a couple of favorites around the Preserve:

1) Duck Pond:
Start off in town, or park at Wallkill Farms. Run a short distance to Gatehouse Road and through the unmistakable Gatehouse gate. This leads to a beautiful tree-lined path and over Butterville Road, becoming Lenape Lane. Follow the dirt road (Lenape) through the farm fields and then continue up the hill. This will eventually take you to Duck Pond. From here you can go right, and climb another long hill (Kleine Kill). When you get to the top of this killer hill, take a rather level Oakwood Drive and connect up with a spectacular run through the fields of Glory Hill Road, and back to Duck Pond. Descend the hill and return to the start.

You can also park along Butterville Road for a shorter run.

2) Ridge Run:
This one's a tad more "technical", with rocky sections,where you'll have to slow down and it's also a tighter trail, but also a spectacular run. Start off on the Steel Bridge, and start walking in down the Carriage Road in the direction of Minnewaska. About 20-30 yards past the bridge, you'll see the light Blue-blazed trail on your left that leads up to the top of the Near Trapps. At the top, just follow the trail as it follows the top of the Nears, Bayards and Millbrook. You can then hook up with the Coxing Kill Trail to bring you down off the ridge and back to the Trapps carriageway that will bring you back to the Steel Bridge. 3 miles out, 3 miles back.

Say, if you're a partner database member, post an RFP for the Run, and perhaps I can show you the routes myself.

-em

#9930 - 09/26/03 01:55 PM Re: good runs [Re: webmaster]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The duck pond trail is a good run. take the red trail up.

#9931 - 04/19/04 08:26 PM Re: good runs
Leemouse2 Offline
addict

Loc: Rosendale, NY
I've just rediscovered the Spring Farm trailhead for great runs of the length you describe. From the parking lot, head uphill on the main trail. It will intersect the Cedar Drive carriage path in less that 1/8 mile. Take a right on Cedar drive and follow it across Rt 6 into Mohonk. You'll cross a new bridge over a stream and about 1/2 mile further you'll see a turn off on your left (rock rim trail, I think). Make that left, and at the top of the hill make a left onto Bonticou trail. Follow that back across route 6 (you are basically parallel to the route you took out, only 100 fee higher up). You can either go all the way out to Bonticou and pick up the other end of Cedar (it loops around) or cut off Bonticou earlier on Spring Farm Road.

I generally see very few people out on those trails because they don't access climbing, although there is a really nice rock scramble next to the rock rim path described above which is fun for kids (of all ages)!

#9932 - 05/20/04 06:17 PM Re: good runs [Re: webmaster]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"2) Ridge Run:
This one's a tad more "technical", with rocky sections,where you'll have to slow down and it's also a tighter trail, but also a spectacular run. Start off on the Steel Bridge, and start walking in down the Carriage Road in the direction of Minnewaska. About 20-30 yards past the bridge, you'll see the light Blue-blazed trail on your left that leads up to the top of the Near Trapps. At the top, just follow the trail as it follows the top of the Nears, Bayards and Millbrook. You can then hook up with the Coxing Kill Trail to bring you down off the ridge and back to the Trapps carriageway that will bring you back to the Steel Bridge. 3 miles out, 3 miles back."

Thanks for the tip. Did this run today and really enjoyed it. Great views and some tough spots that you have to work hard at. The Coxing Kill trail was a damp in spots but not too bad. Socks got a little wet but did not lose a shoe in the muck.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored