ROCKFALL near Hawk

Posted by: Mike Rawdon

ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 12:42 AM

Not too much detail yet, but I just learned that a large chunk of rock came down near Hawk. Several large pieces reached the carriage road. Caution is advised in the area.
Posted by: Terrie

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 02:30 AM

hmmmm...wonder if one of the routes will have a ratings change because of it. Lines are pretty crowded up there!
Posted by: RangerRob

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 03:36 AM

Haven't seen it first hand, but people at the Brau this evening were saying it was more than a chunk. Car sized boulders made it to the carraigeway. Like I said, second hand info.
Posted by: AOR

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 11:00 AM

Photos would be cool!
Posted by: oenophore

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 11:18 AM

And videos would be sublime.
Posted by: Mim

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 12:04 PM

Photos: I have some as jpg. - I just can't get them to load. I can email them though...
Posted by: Tai

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 12:09 PM

A coworker of mine got some pictures of the aftermath... unfortunately, the site will not let me load them. I can email them to interested parties.

T
Posted by: Smike

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 12:42 PM

Someone wants to e-mail them to me, I'll get them posted online for all to see

mike.stanislaw ~at~ gmail.com
Posted by: Jannette

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 01:24 PM

These pictures were sent to me by Ethan (photo credit), I wasn't there so I can't comment on the damage.

Jannette
Posted by: KathyS

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 01:33 PM

Yowza! Is that hole in the side of the carriage road from the rockfall?

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 01:48 PM

Daaaaaaaam..... nothing like the first big rain/snow followed by flash freeze to get everything moving. Similar conditions in the past have produced large rock falls…but this one looks huge.

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 02:03 PM

Here are photos sent to me from MIM. SHe thinks they might have been taken by Paavo.

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 02:18 PM

[quote=Smike]Here are photos sent to me from MIM. SHe thinks they might have been taken by Paavo.

That's Peter Darmi in the picture - he posted these to his facebook profile as well. Those are huge chunks of rock!

Jannette
Posted by: chip

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 02:42 PM

Holy squash the climber, Batman! How long till someone tries to make a new route through the unstable overhang?
Posted by: quanto_the_mad

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 02:42 PM

Holy cow...

Looks like Hawk is fine though. Was that the chimango roof?
Posted by: Dillbag

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 03:52 PM

WOW!

That's some CRAZY SH!T!!!!
Posted by: talus

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 04:01 PM

qtm i was thinking Reach of Faith. Richie is all over new routes.
Posted by: empicard

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 04:17 PM

the cleared swath of trees is amazing!
Posted by: Jeff D.

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 04:24 PM

Was anyone there when it happened?

ROCK!!!!
Posted by: Mim

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: empicard

Looks like we have a new trail now! \:\) Mim

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 06:49 PM

Odd….

I just realized I have a landscape shot I took pretty much in that exact same spot on the carriageway looking down on the talus below taken about 1.5 weeks ago. I’ll wander out there and take another and do a before / after.

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 07:13 PM

So is the first picture Mike posted taken standing in front of the crater? Is the huge boulder in Jannette's last pic the one that caused the crater?

It looks like the rocks that came down on the Hawk face are further down the carriage road.

Crazy.
Posted by: pedestrian

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 07:16 PM

are those ruby slippers sticking out from under the boulder??

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
So is the first picture Mike posted taken standing in front of the crater? Is the huge boulder in Jannette's last pic the one that caused the crater?

It looks like the first set of pics were after they cleaned up the boulders and the clasped of part of the wall resulted in pushing the rocks off with a dozer. The fist pic is same location with boulders clearly gone.

Posted by: ShakesALot

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mim
 Originally Posted By: empicard

Looks like we have a new trail now! \:\) Mim

Not to mention a couple of new routes and 50 new boulder problems ;\)
Posted by: RangerRob

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 10/31/08 09:37 PM

I checked it out this afternoon. Looks like about a 40' long section of the roof came off. Idon't know how thick it was. The ledges climbing up Hawk and Chimago are obliterated and VERY loose. The impact zone looks similar to, but waaaay smaller than the zone under the Old Man at Cannon. There is a definite crater at the base of the route, not just a few small pock marks. Cleared out every tree on the cliff and decimated a blast zone at the base at least 50-60'wide. Pretty impressive For the Gunks!
Posted by: Kim Graves

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/01/08 01:45 AM

It's been pretty cold up here at night (24 this morning) and then up to 60 during the day. And it rained REAL hard the other day, so there was lots of water around. Freeze/thaw cycles bring mountains down. Glad no one was hurt.

Best, Kim

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/01/08 03:19 AM

Went looking through my files, and I found this image taken about 2 weeks ago. From the other pictures, I don't think there is much left of the lower section of this approach trail. Strange, as this is not the fist time I've taken images of a location only to have some drastic event come through the very same spot.

(hint, if you look back at the picture with Peter standing it in, you can see directly to his left the yellow trail marker on the big block)

Posted by: tallgirlnyc

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/02/08 02:15 PM

I was there yesterday and the belay tree and the little treelet that were on the first pitch of hawk are gone along with the myriad trees at the base. The scarring is pretty significant too as is the five foot gouge out of the carriage road.
Posted by: oenophore

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/02/08 02:49 PM

One might say that we are observing, in our Gunks climbing careers, a few of the frames in the very lengthy drama of the geological evolution of the cliffs.
Posted by: SkurdeyCat

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 12:16 AM

Ghouls, ghosts, skeletons and even Hannah Montana were at my door this weekend, but that's the scariest thing I've ever seen at halloween. I was standing there just two weeks ago, don't feel so guilty about that handhold we broke off Maria.

Skurdey
Posted by: LarE

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 11:11 AM

I took a friend climbing for the first time ever on Saturday, and we walked past the rockfall... I was like "don't worry, that doesn't happen very often here." I'm not sure he believed me.
Posted by: acdnyc

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 08:52 PM

Saw a flake get pulled off of Ribs a couple years ago. Scared the climber and us. The flake was 4 feet high and maybe 2 wide. It destroyed a small tree and damaged a bunch but nothing like that.

Would have been amazing to see this rock fall from a distance, of course. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 10:35 PM

I was chatting with some folks who live near the Trapps, and the night of the rockfall, they thought they heard really long thunder rolling, and couldn't figure it out because the sky was clear. It must have been pretty loud.

Jannette
Posted by: Terrie

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 10:58 PM

Jannette - Did they say the time of night of the rockfall?
Posted by: Techrock

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 11:12 PM

According to a reliable source it was around 10:30 pm Wednesday night.
Posted by: GOclimb

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/03/08 11:21 PM

Between 10-11 PM is what I heard, as well. But I also heard that there was additional rumbling at around 6AM.

GO
Posted by: talus

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/04/08 12:08 PM

how does Goclimb who lives in Denver know what time the rockfall happened and no one can catch the jerk offs who stole the rescue equipment.
Posted by: Timbo

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/04/08 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: talus
how does Goclimb who lives in Denver know what time the rockfall happened and no one can catch the jerk offs who stole the rescue equipment.

Gabe has a vast network of eastern informants on retainer

TS

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/04/08 04:35 PM

Isn't there a seismograph at the preserve? A rockfall that big has to have registered.
Posted by: GOclimb

Re: ROCKFALL near Hawk - 11/07/08 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Timbo
 Originally Posted By: talus

Gabe has a vast network of eastern informants on retainer

TS

^^^Is correct.

Actually, it's funny - after Julie moved to CA, I used to see her every time I went to the Gunks. More so than before she moved. Weird stuff, this moving west.

GO