Lord of the Rings Tick List

Posted by: fallenglass

Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 01:50 PM

In advance of the "Return of The King," I wonder how many climbs at the gunks have Lord of the Rings references (I don't have my guidebook with me at the moment). There are the obvious ones like Middle Earth and Nazgool; are there more subtle references (Ent's Line)?

How many people have climbed them all? I imagine that DW and RG have -- anyone else? Middle Earth may be the only one that I've climbed. Any recommendations for a nicely protected 5.8?
Posted by: RangerRob

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 02:23 PM

Off the top of my head there Balrog, Bag End, Ringwraith, Eowyn, I'm sure there are others. I believe Bag End is a 5.8, no?

RR
Posted by: crackers

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 03:41 PM

the sting
Posted by: LesterLeBlanc

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 06:26 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the route The Sting actually refers to Frodo's sword.

There is also Orc Stone. And the variation to Balrog ... Balrog Escape (aka Bridge of Khaza-dum).

Then there's a bunch of Lord of the Rings-sounding names, but not being a Tolkien expert, I'm not sure if they are actually references: Elf Stone, Evenstar, Gil-Galad, Rhun.

Are you talking about doing a 5.8 with a Lord of the Rings name ... or just a good 5.8?

Cause like RR said, I think the only one in the 5.8 range is Bag's End and that is 5.8+.

If you're thinking about climbing something soon ... better stick to anything in the sun that doesn't have snow melting all over it!

Of all the Lord of the Rings-named routes, the best one by far is Ringwraith ... but (boo-hoo) that's out at Skytop.
Posted by: empicard

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 06:42 PM

Quote:

Then there's a bunch of Lord of the Rings-sounding names, but not being a Tolkien expert, I'm not sure if they are actually references: Elf Stone, Evenstar, Gil-Galad, Rhun.

I am currently reading LotR, and I could have sworn recent mention of Gil-Galad.
yea, yea,

"Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea."
From The Fall of Gil-Galad,
as translated by Bilbo Baggins
in The Fellowship of the Ring I 11 A Knife in the Dark
(found on The Encyclopedia of Arda , or just google Gil-Galad.)

Man, is the book different from the movies.
Posted by: GeeVee

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/16/03 07:22 PM

Man, is the book different from the movies.

There's a concept...
Posted by: Daniel

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/17/03 03:48 AM

The Tolkien-related route names query is actually a trivia question on p.19 of the Swain guide. The 12 routes or variations that Swain found were Bag's End, Balrog, Balrog Escape (Bridge of Khazadum), Elf Stone, Ent's Line, Eowyn, Gil-Galad, Middle Earth, Nazgul, Orc Stone, Ruhn, and Ringwraith. He also says Journey's End, The Sting, and Dungeons and Dragons might qualify, though the last one doesn't seem Tolkein-specific (and anyway, it's at Skytop).
Posted by: pedestrian

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/17/03 04:27 AM

The Sting is dubious; the sword is really called Sting.
Posted by: RAF

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/18/03 09:08 PM

It's kind of amazing how many climbing areas around the country have names from LOTR, e.g., in CT, Grond (cliff near Ragged) and Treebeard (route on the Small Cliff); at Joshua Tree, Tom Bombadil (but he's not a character in the movies, just the book); Yosemite, Gollum Arch Rock and Crack of Doom. Those are just what I remember offhand; just thumb through some guidebooks and you'll see many more, I'm sure.

Big cultural phenomenon!
Posted by: GeeVee

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/18/03 09:32 PM

Big cultural phenomenon!

I think more a case of a bunch of stoners naming routes. Oh man - far out - let's name it after something from Lord of the Rings.
Posted by: crackers

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/19/03 11:55 AM

think Geevee? cmon...
Posted by: GOclimb

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/19/03 03:27 PM

Quote:

Big cultural phenomenon!

I think more a case of a bunch of stoners naming routes.

Yeah, but all the big routesetters in the 70s were stoners! (At least here in the US). The fact that they had Frodo rather than nachos on their minds is what makes it a cultural phenom.

By the way, the third movie was really excellent, despite the irritating changes from the book. (Yeah, I'm a geek, but you probably knew that already.)

GO
Posted by: Mike Rawdon

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/20/03 02:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but all the big routesetters in the 70s were stoners!

Does anyone besides me find the term "routesetter" to be inappropriate for first ascentionists in the Gunks?

*Routesetters* twist bolts into plastic holds in large rooms filled with chalk dust.
Posted by: GOclimb

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 12/20/03 04:29 AM

Oops! I've outed myself as a big fat gym poser!

Sorry, I meant first ascensionists. All the big first ascensionists. Of course I'm sure it's not actually true, but that's the impression I get from Largo's stories.

GO
Posted by: Richard

Re: Lord of the Rings Tick List - 02/23/04 03:38 AM

Nazgul 5.9 X

Williams & Goldstone 1971