traverse of the clods

Posted by: worthrussell

traverse of the clods - 05/07/13 03:16 AM

This route looks amazing. Has anyone climbed it recently? Just wanted to pick some brains on this route.is the gear good is the roite sandbagged etc. Any and all info apprecited.
Posted by: jakedatc

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/07/13 03:23 AM

I followed it a while back. Route is cool.. crazy exposed. There is definitely a ballnut placement on the traverse part like the book says, i forget what size.
Posted by: NYZoo

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/07/13 07:58 PM

It's great. I didn't have any ballnuts and was able to protect it fine. just need to be good at placing gear (only one spot that's not so straight forward with gear but it's there). It's 5.9 with a commiting move and great exposure.
Posted by: Frank Florence

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/07/13 11:24 PM

It is a great route - really airy, thoughtful moves. I didn't have any ballnuts, but I used a small C3 as pro. (We also used another to beef up the belay.) I think the best protection was a positive attitude.
Posted by: RangerRob

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/08/13 01:26 AM

Agreed. Adequately protected if you are competent at the grade.
Posted by: cfrac

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/08/13 04:03 PM

The traverse makes up a large part of the route so you'll want a follower comfortable with the grade.

Also doing p1 of Proctor Silex into p2 Traverse of the Clods makes for a great link-up.

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/10/13 02:28 AM

That it does, but it also bumps the grade to 9+.
Posted by: Coppertone

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/10/13 03:22 AM

Will have to try that as Protorsilex is a great long pitch.
Posted by: cfrac

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/10/13 02:15 PM

Yeah bumps the grade and probably makes the climb close to 300 ft. That final move on Traverse of the Clods is really one of the more adrenaline producing moves in the Gunks.
Posted by: SethG

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/10/13 03:12 PM

I haven't done TOTC but I've always thought Hans' Puss into TOTC would make for a great traversing climb of increasing difficulty with each pitch and one of the longer outings in the Trapps.

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/11/13 01:14 PM

I wanna go be a clod now!
Posted by: Mike Rawdon

Re: traverse of the clods - 05/11/13 02:33 PM

Rob, remember, 'clod' is just COLD spelled funny.