Fink Tree Root Sculptures

Posted by: charliebutters

Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 08/09/11 12:58 PM

so does anyone know what the root balls on the fink property right off clove rd are all about, my guess is sculpture?
Posted by: TerrieM

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/09/11 07:07 PM

I got a picked up hitching a ride from the artists himself last year. He told me the trees are actually DRFITWOOD! I may not have the terms correct, but I understood that they were the leftovers from logged redwoods BITD, and wash up along the coast. He selects some himself, and also buys from others who have salvaged them. I can't imagine the cost to get even one shipped from west coast to here but....I suppose people spend more money on other pursuits!

I'm not sure the extent of modification he makes - I don't believe too much. But last year or so he began adding the bases to set them in the orientation he felt was appropriate.

I like them, and always enjoy taking a look on a drive past.

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/10/11 01:20 AM

thanks terrie.
i enjoy them as well kinda creepy.
when i was a kid we used to watch some horror tv show late on a weekend night, the intro had a bloody hand/tree coming up outta a pool of blood as it rose it grasped and a voice said chilleerrr! everytime i pass the driftwood that comes to mind.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/10/11 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: charliebutters
thanks terrie.
i enjoy them as well kinda creepy.
when i was a kid we used to watch some horror tv show late on a weekend night, the intro had a bloody hand/tree coming up outta a pool of blood as it rose it grasped and a voice said chilleerrr! everytime i pass the driftwood that comes to mind.

"Chiller Theater"!
Posted by: retroscree

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/10/11 04:34 PM

We need photos.
Posted by: Aya

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/12/11 02:43 AM

what happened to the one with the face?
Posted by: Kent

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/12/11 03:18 PM

The artist's name is JD. He has a studio with many partially worked pieces of driftwood on Lucas Turnpike in High Falls. The work he does sometimes takes years and years and is pretty spectacular.

The piece with the face may have sold. On occasion JD sells a piece.
Posted by: RangerRob

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/13/11 03:09 PM

They are always one of the best things about driving Clove Rd. The worst thing being Clove Rd itself!
Posted by: AOR

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/13/11 08:01 PM

Please pardon the momentary thread drift, but does anyone remember the "snake" tree along the carriage road (I believe it was below the Shockley's area, or near the top of the stairmaster)?

We used to put rocks in the open "mouth" and make it look like it had fangs. I haven't thought of that in quite awhile and the conversation reminded me of it.
Posted by: gunkette

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/14/11 01:24 PM

Are you allowed to park and get out of your car to get a closer look at the driftwood? I've always wanted to see them for longer than it takes me to drive past, but I don't want to be trespassing...
Posted by: Jannette

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/14/11 06:50 PM

I thought it was called the man-eating tree? I remember it fondly.

Originally Posted By: AOR
Please pardon the momentary thread drift, but does anyone remember the "snake" tree along the carriage road (I believe it was below the Shockley's area, or near the top of the stairmaster)?

We used to put rocks in the open "mouth" and make it look like it had fangs. I haven't thought of that in quite awhile and the conversation reminded me of it.
Posted by: Julie

Re: Fink Land Dispute (article) - 08/16/11 05:57 PM

That reminds me to drift further and remember the penny tree on the way up to Tahquitz.

Driving Clove Road sucks, but it's one of the most fun roads I've ridden (northbound, anyway ;-).
Posted by: Kent

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 08/16/11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: charliebutters
so does anyone know what the root balls on the fink property right off clove rd are all about?

They are Ent's feet.

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 01/18/12 01:49 PM

There is a new placard and small parking area for the tree root pieces, so now I often come around the corner there to find people standing in the middle of the road looking at the sculptures. Kinda like deer!!!
Posted by: retroscree

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 01/18/12 03:06 PM

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 01/19/12 01:51 PM

will try to bring my camera next time i go that way.

Originally Posted By: retroscree
Posted by: yorick

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 01/20/12 10:48 PM

Imagine two rows of twenty of these

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/90/94/909400_88fcb7e2.jpg

sans the base of fern monoculture. That's on it's way, if we don't get our deer under control.
Posted by: Ralph

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 02/11/12 11:37 PM

Or these guys, before assembly

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 02/12/12 03:58 AM

they are both very "chiller theatre"...nice.
Posted by: PAF

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 04/06/12 12:18 AM

Wow, who did the horse sculptures out of drift wood?
Posted by: Ralph

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 04/06/12 11:02 PM

PAF,

I originally saw it here Supertopo
The artist's profile story Driftwood horses
Posted by: crimpy

Re: Fink Tree Root Sculptures - 04/06/12 11:53 PM

total deborah butterfield ripoff...it happens often.
http://www.google.com/images?sourceid=na..._group&sa=X