Can anyone identify this bird?

Posted by: oenophore

Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/15/10 07:11 PM

Photographed in Inwood Hill Park.

Posted by: charliebutters

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/15/10 10:03 PM

black crowned night heron, used to see them alot in the harlem meer.
Posted by: chip

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/16/10 03:11 AM

Cool birds. See 'em a lot along the beach in the evening/night nailing down the next meal.

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/16/10 09:51 AM

Thanks gents for the ID. A Google-led search of the Web doesn't yield for me an adequate reason for the night heron nomenclature. It's supposedly called that due to its dawn and dusk activity. Yet the same may be said about the eastern gray squirrel. That photo above was taken at midday.
Posted by: MarcC

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/16/10 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: oenophore
A Google-led search of the Web doesn't yield for me an adequate reason for the night heron nomenclature. It's supposedly called that due to its dawn and dusk activity. Yet the same may be said about the eastern gray squirrel. That photo above was taken at midday.

That's 'cause it's a New York City black crowned night heron. They keep different hours.

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 08/16/10 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MarcC
Originally Posted By: oenophore
A Google-led search of the Web doesn't yield for me an adequate reason for the night heron nomenclature. It's supposedly called that due to its dawn and dusk activity. Yet the same may be said about the eastern gray squirrel. That photo above was taken at midday.

That's 'cause it's a New York City black crowned night heron. They keep different hours.
That explains it all. Thanks, Marc.
Posted by: empicard

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 09/07/10 02:45 AM

Im pretty sure its not an eastern grey squirrel.
Posted by: acdnyc

Re: Can anyone identify this bird? - 09/09/10 07:51 PM

How does it taste? And don't say chicken it looks too stringy.